Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hummingbirds

Photobucket

This is a hummingbird that I started today.

Check out this beautiful song that my dear friend Manya, and her band, Blue Petal wrote for me after Carter's death.

It's called "Hummingbird"

You can hear it on my Myspace page.... just a warning: I have not updated my myspace page in ages.

and here is a direct link to Manya's myspace page

And when you fall in love with her music and voice, the CD Blue Petal, Golden Storybook is available on CD Baby and iTunes.

This is a blog that wrote on my myspace page almost two years ago:

October 19th, 2007

why hummingbirds... i don't know. The last night I saw carter i was finishing the 5th of my bird drawings... it was a hummingbird. the other day i found a shirt I bought about a year ago... on it it has a beautiful hummingbird, and underneath that it says 10:30 Sept 2nd. 10:30 pm, is about the time i was finishing my hummingbird drawing, before i met carter out on Sept 2nd... the last time i saw him, since he was killed on the morning of the 3rd. The shirt also says Thurs and A7 - which i don't understand the significance of.

Since then, Manya (Blue Petal), wrote me a beautiful song about hummingbirds, and just today i was given a tail feather of a hummingbird. what is the significance of hummingbirds?

then I found this: Significance of Hummingbirds

"In many traditional cultures of the western world the hummingbird has powerful religious and spiritual significance. In the high Andes of South America, for example, the hummingbird is taken to be a symbol of resurrection. This is because each hummer becomes lifeless and seems to die on cold nights, but it comes back to life again when the miraculous sunrise brings warmth.

Hummingbirds teach us fierce independence. They teach us to fight in a way where no one really gets hurt. They teach us simple courage. Andrews says the twittering, vibrating sounds of the hummingbirds bring us an internal masage that restores health and balance.

Hummingbirds also inspire us to protect the environment and to preserve old traditions that are in danger of being lost. When Native American ways were being destroyed by the expanding Euro-American culture, the Ghost-Shirt religion was established to try to bring back the animals and old ways through dancing. The leader of the dance was a hummingbird....

Certainly hummingbird magic is available to all who live in the New World. There is something inside the soul of all of us that wants to soar through sunbeams, then dance midair in a delicate mist, then take a simple bath on a leaf.

There is something in our souls that wants to hover at beautiful moments in our lives, making them freeze in time. There is something in us that wants to fly backwards and savor once more the beautiful past.

Some of us are just hummingbird people."

Maybe I'm a hummingbird person.

If you've read my "bubbles" blog, you know how I feel about bubbles.

Here is a picture I found of a hummingbird with bubbles:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

maybe i constantly search for signs.... possibly too much... but it gives me some sense of comfort. I would never have thought, but maybe i'm a "hummingbird person"

3 comments:

Amylee said...

Wonderful hummingbird !!! I love the wallpaper behind :)

Whispering Poetic said...

I have always found hummingbirds beautiful,they have a tendency to command attention. For me, I think it is how they appear so fragile, so tiny, though they are far more resilient than we realize.
To be able to capture their essence in a painting, I would assume, is rare,difficult,but you did just that.
I love how you shared the "Significance of Hummingbirds" in your post as well, it was very fascinating to read, my favorite part was:

"There is something in our souls that wants to hover at beautiful moments in our lives, making them freeze in time. There is something in us that wants to fly backwards and savor once more the beautiful past."

There are so many moments in this life, that I would love to be able to go back to. They were so beautiful, even if atypically so, that I just want proof that they are tangible. I would love to recapture that feeling, that those certain experiences provided. Though I dare say, that if I, or anyone else possessed that ability, we'd simply pine for the past,perhaps, instead of making the most of today,and enjoying every experience as it happens, becoming a new memory.
It's a wonderful thought though,isn't it? Something to contemplate,how it would feel to have such an ability.
Maybe,I too,am a hummingbird person, and that is also why I search for signs.
I happen to believe they are everywhere, even if small, and seemingly insignificant to most. If they feel important to you, then grab onto them, and relish them, because maybe, just maybe those signs were put there specifically for you.

I apologize for my incessant rambling, and want to thank you for sharing your words, even if I am a bit late reading them.

Kelli said...

Beautiful,If being a hummingbird person makes me want to hover backwards and have a second chance to relive the past then maybe, just maybe I too am a hummingbird person!