Wednesday, July 29, 2009

silhouette x4 = creative flow?

This is my 25 week (now 26 wk) belly that keeps getting in the way of serious arts and crafty-ness:

Photobucket

My second day of 4 hours of painting... and guess what?!?! I got blocked!

YUP! Creative constipation... and I was doing so good too... which is when the blockage usually strikes...

When I'm not on a time crunch, I have several methods of de-clogging myself:

1. Sit and stare at my piece for days or weeks at a time.

2. Ask any and everyone I come across what their suggestion would be...

3. Draw patterns.... trace patterns, draw patterns... I'll spend weeks working on tedious intricate patterns that I'll never really use.

4. Paint over what I have and start completely over.


Because I'm on a time crunch... I don't have time for any of the above.

So, I did this instead:

I bought 4 canvases.
I found an image I like.
I decided to paint the silhouette of the image on each canvas in different colors.

I finished one tonight:
Photobucket

I almost gave up on it half way through. But I pushed through... I think 4 of them, in different colors, will look nice hanging together. Plus, I can price them a bit lower... and they're simple. Maybe people will like them... Maybe painting 4 of these will be just the creative deblocker I need to get my flow back. (wow... I'm quite the wordsmith tonight!)

I'm crossing my fingers!

3 comments:

Paul L. said...

when you see something thats always there sometimes you forget its there.
As A designer, I have learned it is best to take a step back and close your eyes and visualize something serene. And to ask your peers to critique your product.

Why don't you paint something that is based on your unborn child. Paint a world where you would like to seem them interact with.

_p.L.

Jayme said...

I think you are doing fine pumpkin. Don't overthink it, They look great.
And YOU look great.

Anonymous said...

some suggestions: Drink plenty of water! Being dehydrated can really take a toll on "pregnancy brain"...

Listen to some classical music. Our art teacher in high school used to play it everyday.

Go for a walk with nature.

Find a different place to sit besides the floor! Do you have an easle?

If you're holding any guilt, let it go. It's ok to be happy with your new life! We will once again see our family and friends that have passed, when the new system comes. We are promised that. ;D