Monday, January 12, 2009

productivity and a new pink camera = happiness!

I was so productive today!

I think, by letting some pressure out of my head, and into my planner, and blog, and journal, I feel sooo much better!

One thing I did that makes me REALLY happy: I returned that Canon-Elph-whatever-crap camera and bought a Sony Cybershot! It was the second time I've been to BestBuy and tried to return it... they all remembered me. They asked me what was wrong with it... I told them "everything! I hate everything about it!"... of course they were shocked... (news to me but:) It seems that NO ONE (except me) hates Canons... They said it was my fault... It could be, I'm not good at following directions... or reading them... but I exchanged it anyway... and I love my new camera! The pics I've taken look awesome! plus it's pink! Who doesn't love a pink camera?!?

I found a reprographics place in Midland (Reynolds Brothers) ... I talked to them on the phone and I'm gonna go and check it out tomorrow...

I also bought a griddle and a small blow torch..... as well as some paraffin wax.... So, I'm back to encaustic painting... for real!
Paraffin wax cleans the colored wax off of brushes... but I've also noticed that it thins the medium even more, making the wax more like paint... and it's good for delicate things like leaves and butterfly wings, without making them too waxy.... and cloudy...

I've even started to make my usual encaustic studio mess!
Photobucket

I also start riding horses again tomorrow... maybe I'll bring my new fancy camera and get some pics!

So, i pulled out all of the work that I think is done... and some of the stuff I'm still working on... and some that I shouldn't keep working on but can't help myself....

This little owl is on cardboard... he's about a 5x7... I'm gonna use him.. I like him more and more...
Photobucket

The background of this piece, I started before I left for North Carolina last May... I tried (and failed) to do some stuff with resin... but today, I added the other stuff on top.... It's not done... I'm not sure if I like it at all... Cas suggested that I add a moon... which I'll try tomorrow...
Photobucket

This was another "Bird and Key".... but it was bugging me... So I've been trying to get crafty with it... I found this moth... I LOVE this moth... and on this color background... the moth and doily are just placed on top.... not attached yet... just an option that I'm considering...
Photobucket

I've been working on this piece with the chandelier for a YEAR now... I added the black wash over the whole piece and have been staring at it for months... today, I painted the chandelier in a light wash of a bright red...
Photobucket

People who know me well, know that I can't stand being told what I can and can't do... It's not that I try to be rebellious... I just have to find out for myself... and a lot of the time, that means "the hard way".... well... In our encaustic class, I was told, "you can't paint acrylic over oil paint"... well... I had done that... It TOTALLY sucked and was REALLY difficult.... but I had done it (once)... We were also told, you can't paint acrylic over wax... well, today, I broke that rule and had to try it out... and so far so good... I'm really pleased with the result...

This is a painting I'd been working on for a while... I decided the heart needed a heart shape around it in string... then I added the flames/triangles/points around the right side... and then I used black acrylic paint *gasp!*, on the inside of the heart.... to make it pop a bit.... that worked so well, that I used the same paint on the bird in areas...

The only thing that is bugging me about this piece is the wax looks so cloudy... and dulls the black and the pattern... but overall I'm happy with it... and I'm glad I don't always believe what people tell me!
Photobucket

I'm not sure what people are going to think of my new work... it's different than what I was doing before.... much more collage, and experimentation... i may go back to acrylics at some point... they're predictable and easy to add on top of... but maybe I wont... But I think I will... at least more than I'm using them now...

6 comments:

Ashley said...

I love love LOVE that chandelier painting. Beautiful.

Ryann Rathbone said...

Thank you! Any ideas of where I should go from there?!?

I'm honestly thinking about taking a saw to it and making it narrower....

my so-called life said...

I also really like the chadelier one Ryann, just as it is...making it narrower? what size is it now?

and the last one too....lots of great colors and details...

Wendy

Ryann Rathbone said...

It's pretty big... like 24"x24".... so maybe making it less wide... taking a bit off each side, and MAYBE a tiny bit off of the top and bottom... but mainly the sides... it wouldn't be square anymore...

there's so much open space at the top... I could try making the chandelier bigger... It just seems so small, lonely and centered in the middle... too much weird space....

Sometimes I just need someone to tell me when to stop...

libby said...

the chandelier painting needs more subject matter. the chandelier itself is lovely, but think about what it's doing there. it might have a lot more visual impact if it were hanging over something or someone.

great new work, ryann! keep breaking rules. :)

Ryann Rathbone said...

thanks libby,

I can't help myself when it comes to breaking rules... so i'll keep it up!

I've literally been staring at this piece forever! It was even at penland with me! but it wasn't black... and the chandelier was just sketched in... maybe i'm too attached to it... bummer.

I'm over-thinking the composition too... that always sucks.