Friday, October 17, 2008

Finding space and place

Just incase you thought I was kidding about how much crap we carried Miles and miles high, up to 7000 ft.... Here's a picture from the Hike-a-thon! by my dear friend Justin Voight (www.JustinVoight.com)


i make a good hobo, eh? (except that we were only camping one night!)


i went to the doctor here in Midland yesterday... He thinks I have pneumonia or bronchitis and pneumonia... But i got a shot in the butt and a z-pack (along with a "CYA" x-ray), so, I am now, officially on the road to recovery!

Actually, today I feel much MUCH better!

I've had a chance to look over Justin's AMAZING and INCREDIBLE photos from our West Texas trip and I have a TON of ideas of what I can do.... and (unlike yesterday) I have the energy to start working on some of them...

Last night, I started to feel like I had some energy... and I wanted to do something creative, so i decided I would pull a couple books off of the bookshelf and draw something from each cover... and then creativity kicked in.... I call this one Hamlet and Ophelia:

i started to read Hamlet, and then started writing different parts of the script as background...

I decided today that would be a good way to start on some ideas for our book.... so, I took some of Justin's photos and drew something from each one.. it needs something more but here's the idea:


And then I add: (I had to paste in two because I took this pic with my phone):




I need to get a projector next week... and then I'll start working LARGE... I also need a griddle so I can do more encaustic!

I'm starting to really see our book idea materialize... just not in the way i had imagined.... but a more unique and interesting way (at least I think so).

My parents have been wonderful... so welcoming and excited to have me here... I'm thankful... and blessed. i think the only "debbie downer" here is me... I had been putting off the inevitable as long as possible, scheduling trip after trip... so I wouldn't have to make a decision of when traveling stopped and life started again... Lately, the thought of living life is so much scarier to me than dying.

I've always been self-sufficient... i never thought I would be almost 30 and moving back in with my parents... I think I prided myself (wrongly and to a fault) on not being one of "those people"... well, now I am one of those people... and I have two choices: A. to fight it and cause friction because "I'm better than living with my parents" (which I'm not.. or maybe I am... I just need help and that's what family is for).... or b. realize that THIS is exactly where I'm supposed to be at this point in time... and it may be what is best for our relationship, for them and for me... I'm gonna go for choice B... unfortunately choice A likes to sneak in the back of my head and make things difficult...

Dear Choice A,
F- OFF!
Love,
Ryann

If only it were that easy...

i really do think this is going to be the best thing for me right now, for a while... and I'm excited! i've already started to set up my studio in the spare room! :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Ryann... I really like your work from this post -with the text from hamlet in the backgroud - i love that.

Anyway, if you ever need to plan a trip feel free to come visit Berlin. Its like Artist heaven :) I am actually a bit jealous of you in W. texas though. I was at Texas Tech for a couple years and I love it out there.

Ryann Rathbone said...

Thanks Julie!

Man, I would LOVE to go to Berlin! I've never been (but i do have a piece of the wall... or i used to...)

I think I've done the tour of the states this year.. next year maybe europe! that would be awesome!

lot's of love, lady!