Monday, September 15, 2008

Maine: The Way Life Should Be


Kel and I woke up yesterday on the Maine side of Boston.... then we drove through Mass. and New Hampshire (for a minute) to finally get to Maine.

I love driving through New England... The landscape is beautiful forests, but very pointy architecture sticking up through the trees... lots of old church steeples... and building steeples...

I've always fantasized about going to Maine. When we got there, we needed gas around the Kennebunkport area... so we stopped... I went in the service area to get me and kel beverages. I was shocked at how nice and happy everyone was. SOOO happy and nice! I've never been to a service area so friendly... ever. And then I found what looked like an old metal bell/fishing lure that had Tibet-looking characters with little Buddhas on it.

I HEART Maine!

Then we arrived at Watershed... at 11:20 am, but we really didn't need to be there until 6 pm. Kel's doing a 9 month residency at Watershed. There are 6 winter residents, so Kel was looking forward to meet the people she will be living and working with for the next 9 months.... It's kinda like "The Real World" and the opening line of the show (slightly changed): "this is the story of 6 strangers, all artists who will be working and living together..."



We left to explore and went into a cute little town, called Damariscotta, and shopped around.... and ate LOBSTER! There was lobster! lobster! lobster! Everything on the menu was seafood... yum! We sat outside, it was beautiful... but VERY VERY windy. At one point our umbrella almost blew off off and away... we caught it, and had to keep an eye on it while we ate...
We took a lot of photos of our food. ... of course!



We had little June Bug with us. Everything was VERY dog-friendly. We went into the stores with the pup... actually people were coming out and telling us to bring her in the stores...

then we drove down the penninsula to the lighthouse. It was everything that I've ever imagined when I've thought of Maine... Beautiful lighthouse, overlooking rocky shoreline, with seagulls squwaking and big swells and huge waves crashing on the rocks.. We climbed down on the rocks... there are areas were you can get close enough to get splashed... but it's dangerous to get too close... there was a sign when we drove into the park that said people have actually been swept away by large waves.

We got back to Watershed around 6 and after dinner, Kel got her room.. we unpacked her car and arranged her room. Then we hung out with her roommate and another resident. There is a huge orange cat who is aggressive and was eyeing poor little June Bug... so we had to keep a broom near by, just incase that cat needed to scat (which it did, several times).

I was so exhausted... I slept a LONG time last night, today, Kelly took me to Portland where I rented a car... and said goodby to Kel and June Bug.... :(

June Bug grew so much on this trip... the next time I see her she'll be a huge dog... Here's a pic of me trying to pick her up in front of the lighthouse.


Here's a pic of us taking pics of ourselves... (shocker):


The car I rented is a Mazda (new model) minivan! But it doesn't look like a mini van... it's cool. I drove to Salem, MA to meet up with Steve... we are at a coffee shop in Salem, trying to figure out where to go and such. We just got eating dinner... we had lobster rolls and clam chowder.... I think I'll eat lobster clam and crab everyday.

There is a full moon over Salem... perfect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet life, Ry! Big world, big beauty. I wish you and yours all the best! Love,
A