Sunday, September 14, 2008

These days... catch up!


This pic was taken in front of the White House... there was a Secret Service Police Van... (can't really read the side of the van in this pic), and that's my best Secret Service look...

We spent one night in DC at Eva's place... the next day, Kel, Eva and I (with June Bug) went to eat at a neat little restaurant called Teaism... it's one of Eva's favorite spots. DC seems like a little bubble... there's so much going on inside the bubble... everyone I overheard on the streets was talking politics... Eva very much seems like a DC gal... and is very happy there.

After Kel and I said our goodbyes to Eva, we went to the Washington Memorial and White House. We took a ton of pictures and walked around... It was HOT in DC... so very, very hot! We were hoping that we were escaping the heat, by driving north... but NO.... it was HOT.

June Bug decided to cool off by lying in a water fountain in between the phallic memorial and the White House... it was hilarious. Kel and I were laughing too hard to get her out... but no police told us to move... and June Bug didn't get arrested... whew! :)

Then we hopped in the really hot car, and drove to NYC.... where we thought it would be cooler.... was it? NO! It is almost as if we have been bringing the Texas heat with us the whole trip. It was hot and muggy in NYC... like I told Kel, "When I get too hot, I get angry." That makes no sense.. but it's true.

I drove the car into the city... through the Lincoln Tunnel and up 42nd Street. I have to admit, I was nervous about driving in Manhattan... I hate all of the honking... It makes my skin crawl and nerves tingle... but, after a bit of maneuvering, I felt like I fit in perfect (except for the TX plates).

I was swerving in and out of traffic like a real cab driver... All I needed was to honk my horn (a lot) and maybe wear a turban, (I say that because when I told Kel I was like the cab drivers... we looked over to see a cab driver with a turban on... I need to get one).

Kel dropped me off at Nicole's and went to go stay with her friend in Brooklyn. It was so good to see Nicole again (I love her!), I wish I had more time, and wasn't so exhausted.

We chilled at her very cute apt., and were COMPLETELY girly! We watched the Lifetime Original movie about Coco Chanel, with wine, chocolate and cigarettes. The movie was sooo bad.... but sooo good. When we thought two men were about to fight over Coco, they did... but not a fist fight, but with a dance-off! AWESOME! Then we started to watch SNL (with Michael Phelps), Nicole passed out, and I stayed up to watch it. I thought it was the funniest SNL I'd seen in a LONG time. Hilarious!

Today, Kel came over to Nicole's and the three of us went to lunch at a cute place in Chelsea (I can't remember the name - but it was REALLY good!). Then we packed up the car and were off to .... well.... we didn't know... we thought we'd go to Boston, but ended up deciding to detour to Providence, Rhode Island. It got dark and really foggy in Rhode Island.


Kel has a glassblower friend at RISD.... so we stopped to say hello... I love New England! I just absolutely LOVE it! We used to live in Conn when I was little, and I loved it then... and still do. I love the four seasons (although we are bringing the heat with us), and the quaintness and the history... it's so beautiful. Everyone drives at least 20 miles over the speed limit... SERIOUSLY! Especially in Conn, I was going 80 and felt like I was holding up traffic by driving too slow!

Then we decided to drive to Boston... but then decided to drive just past Boston... Kel has to be at her residency tomorrow and wants to get there early, and didn't want to get stuck in Boston traffic.

We are getting along great! Everything is sooo much better... I think we needed to put everything out on the table to make this roadtrip as wonderful as possible. We are enjoying each other and the ride....

Little June Bug is not so little... I swear, by tomorrow she'll be like Clifford, the big red dog, and I'll be the one in a ball on the passenger floorboard!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is such a great blog! The photos are so good! Can I have a copy of the 3 of you in front of the White House?