Monday, September 29, 2008

Skunk Funk be gone!

How to de-skunk:

So, today I went on a shopping spree... not for myself.... or for anything fun... but for a remedy for skunk smell.

I did enough research online, and learned that tomato juice/sauce/paste does not work... and plus, it's just gross. So, I drove to Petsmart in San Marcos for some sort of Skunk-smell-be-gone cure. They didn't have any. And the groomers told me that the stuff they have doesn't work all that well anyway.

But they did say something about washing my dog in Scope... so I googled "skunk smell scope" and got some new ideas... I ended up buying:
Scope
Palmolive (with Oxy)
Downy Fabric Softner
White Vinegar

The guys were entertained while I washed my dog with all of those things... (yes, Scope...really). After Dylan dried off, he STILL smelled funky skunky (though not as bad).

More online Googling... and another trip to the store:

Massingill Douche (but they didn't have it, so I went with the Walgreens brand)
1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
Baking Soda

I never had to use the douche... Mixed the bottle of hydrogen peroxide with a cup of baking soda and some of the Palmolive... and let it foam up and rubbed it into his fur.. and, HOLY MOLY! It worked! I'm sure it didn't hurt that I'd bathed him with EVERYTHING several times... but it really did work... and is still working... whew.

In between washings we went to eat some famous Lockhart BBQ at Blacks... yum.

ahhhh.... no more funky skunky smell...

No comments: