Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Creature Comforts


This is a sign I've been driving by everyday on the most dangerous gravel road... that road is a head-on collision just waiting to happen...

So.... I didn't leave today... I felt better, but my tummy's still a little sensitive... I plan to leave tomorrow. Mike told me it was okay if I stayed longer... because (in his words), "I really li-... don't mind hanging out with you."
Ha! I teased him that he almost said that he liked hanging out with me.

We went to go eat last night in Little Switzerland... YUM! I haven't been out to eat at Penland or in the area before. On the way back, the sky was the most amazing fuchsia color.

Today, I went out side and saw another snake... this snake was alive... and on a tree brach by my head.

And then a hummingbird buzzed by and looked at me, then took off.... I thought the buzzing was a bug and ducked at first... it was really cute. I wonder how may times I've thought a big bug was buzzing me, when it was really a hummingbird.

There have been so many creatures this summer.... I survived the 17-year cicada craziness; I've seen the most beautiful moths; I've accidentally hit two luna moths with my car; I've seen plenty of suicidal deer run in the road; There have been wild turkeys, huge spiders, an endangered bog turtle and salamanders that were so pretty, they looked fake; I saw a mouse that made me scream... and then he turned to look at me with his little mouse eyes and I immediately stopped screaming and started cooing; I've seen an owl do a funky dance; red tail hawks; two skunks taking a stroll, five raccoons huddled in a tree, one raccoon who looked like he was about to open the front door for me... gosh... so many more... I also met a real witch, took pictures of the moon and it looked like hearts... I've made great friends... two (cas, and mike) I know will be life-long.... I saw Dallas peeps at the Orange Peel... not to mention all of the arts and crafts I've done, and learned. I never saw a bear (but there have been bear sightings) or an alligator... I'm kinda glad.

It's nice and cool here... I got here when it was cool in spring and survived the heat of the summer... now it's August and getting cool again... I love it.

So, tomorrow, I'm gonna drive to Nashville and see Ward... I've been drooling thinking about that awesome burger at the sushi place... Then to Memphis to see Dave Little and watch his show... then to Dallas (to drop off stuff in storage) then to Midland, to get my doggie and see my family.

No comments: