Tuesday, August 19, 2008

From Salamander to Hummingbird...

This is the third day in a row I've seen a hummingbird... and it's flown right up to me and then it flew off... quickly.

Maybe my totem animal is now the hummingbird instead of the salamander... can it change like that... (does it really matter?)

But, I googled hummingbirds as totem animals and found:

"When it becomes our totem, the hummingbird teaches us to laugh and enjoy the creation, to appreciate the magic of being alive, and the truth of beauty."

I like it... I've also decided I want as many totem animals as possible...

I went to Michael's today to look for: a craft bag, with an organizer... for all of my stuff (because I feel so scattered)... I didn't find one I liked... I think I'll check again in Dallas.

I actually did a lot of shopping today... with little luck.

For continuing to do encaustic painting, I wanted to by a quilting iron (couldn't find a fabric store in Midland), a griddle (I got too lazy to look for one), rubber stamps for collaging (damn! Those things are EXPENSIVE!!! like $15 for one... I think I'll wait until someone wants to get rid of their rubber stamp collection....)... I think at that point, I was overwhelmed and done with Michaels... so i went to good old Barnes & Nobles.... I looked at lots of books... But didn't find the one I wanted to buy....

It's a book by Nick Bantock, called "Urgent 2nd Class: creating curious collage, dubious documents, and other art from ephemera" It's the same guy who wrote the "Griffin and Sabine" books... Jayme N. introduced me to the books by giving them to me for my b-day last year... (thanks JN! I love them! and you!).

I would order it online... but don't know where to send it. I leave Midland tomorrow....for Dallas.... I'm stressed... overwhelmed... a lot on my mind...

But... I think I'm driving up to Maine with Kel mid-sept... and going on a photo/art road trip in october!!!

what a long strange trip it's been....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you have a local library nearby? That way you could browse the book a little and buy it when you have an address. :-)

You might also like the book called Kaleidoscope: projects and ideas to spark your creativity

libby said...

hey ryann!

i found a griddle for $20 at walmart. i also found some small butane-fueled, pen-sized "torches" at lowes - haven't tried them yet, but they seem infinitely more suited to fusing than the propane torches we were using in the encaustic class.

can't wait to see more of your work!