Saturday, August 23, 2008

Slug Bug!



Driving in the slug bug.... I was in sunny blue cloud skies.... and driving into this.... A little scary... remnants of Fay?... probably...




Despite the "missed" flight and the non-stop fear-inducing news reports of tropical storm Fay, I made every flight (well... besides the first).... every connection, and all of the planes were on time... if not early.

Cas & andrew picked me up, and we went to her condo... which is really nice, cute and big. I took a nap. When I woke up Nicole had arrived from NY... I haven't seen her since I went up there after C died last year.
This pic was taken before C died... and before the three of us had become good friends... an oldie but a goodie!

It's so good to see them both again! Nicole was there for me and a big part of my healing last year.... and Cas has been a huge part of my healing (and learning to laugh again) this summer....

Nicole crashed out early and Cas and I stayed up late, and took more ridiculous pictures, talked and danced on her balcony.... I'm sure, to the amusement of her neighbors.

We set the alarm so I could wake up and rent a car to drive and see the Floridians in my family.... but after staying up late, all I remember is Cas saying (in her you'd-better-cuz-i'm-not-a-morning-person-and-i-will-hurt-you voice), "Turn the alarm off" ... So.... I did. An hour or two later, Nicole woke up and asked, "Ryann, don't you have to go somewhere?" I was groggy.... mumbled "no" and then asked her why would I have to go somewhere.... "to see your family?"

CRAP! I jumped out of bed and got ready in record time... Then Cas took me to the airport to rent a car. When I got to Avis, the woman asked if I'd like the PT Cruiser or a VW Bug.... I've rented a PT Cruiser before, and wasn't impressed... so I said Bug...
I had been joking about renting a yellow mustang... Well, the Beetle they had was yellow... YELLOW... BRIGHT YELLOW.

Driving in the city children dream about, in a YELLOW Bug was an experience... I could feel the stares of awe from children with their noses pressed against the windows of other, more conservative, cars...

I decided I'm not a yellow car or VW Beetle driver... too flashy... and cartoony... and, well... just not "me".... But it was fun... I can say I rented one (on my list with a PT Cruiser)..

The drive to my uncle Eric and his partner Chip's condo is 2 hours... I was supposed to be a surprise for my Grandpa and his wife Dot.... but he guessed that I was the surprise guest (he must be psychic.... or the info was leaked to him.....).

We got a chance to visit and then went out for a late lunch/dinner... I really enjoyed spending time with them. Eric and Chip were so good for me to talk to.... they know grief... they've lost dear friends to AIDS... I remember Eric sending me a letter 6 months ago, and he wrote "wear your grief like your old favorite shirt, but let Carter know you love him by living life unbowed." That has stuck with me and helped me... a lot.

I wish I lived closer... they are such neat people... so positive and loving... and I want to spend time and grow closer to them...

I drove back to Orlando tonight. I'm tired... but can't sleep... Cas and Nic are out... I just didn't feel up to it. I'm not trying to be aloof at all... but I know they know I'm not... and I love them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad u made it and had a good visit.
They truly are great guys and I know the gps were happy to see u too.
Great car choice for Florida....in spite of Fay!