Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Working overtime


Wax dries fast... real fast. Faster than acrylic paint... you'd think that I'd be all about it since I'm all about instant gratification when it comes to art. Maybe it' too instant... too gratifying... because when something looks good, I keep going over it again and again, until it no longer looks even remotely good.

My last two classes here were more about learning technique than creating work... and I was expecting this class to be the same... NOT SO MUCH. While I'm still screwing around with technique, other students are creating work.. and badass work... maybe my self confidence in my art work is starting to do the second day drop...

Maybe I should be doing more. Maybe I should stop pouring more wax on work that already looks pretty good. Maybe I'm doing exactly what I should be doing. Who knows anyways...

Yesterday I was entertained by text messages from Cas. She was telling me about the fashion emergency, crisis in the Orlando airport... the jorts (jean shorts), the heels with shoes, the age-inappropriate clothing.. i had a good laugh.

The great thing about encaustic (besides the drying time), is that you can paint on anything, or put anything in it... Great for found objects... maybe this is how I'll take my past, and incorporate it into the present...

I found two black feathers yesterday... I hear that finding a black feather means good luck:

Hopefully no one will set anything on fire... Hopefully no spiders will eat me...

i didn't want to say anything about bugs... but I'm staying off campus in the little cabin in the woods (LCW), to my dad's amusement (which he said he thought I'd never really stay there... Dad, where did you think I'd stay?? ). I was sitting outside with my roommate... he said he felt a spider making a web on him... I thought: yeah right... So I turned on the inside light... YUP... big ol' spider (little bigger than quarter-sized) was hanging on the web he was building on M... BLUGH!!!!

No comments: