Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Not a Punk, not a Skunk, just a Monk"

So, I'm in Kauai!

Photobucket

This morning, Bekki and I flew out of Dallas... it was icy... and snowing! Not the kind of weather that is typical in Dallas until January or February... we were FREEZING! We were both so surprised that the flight was on time....
Photobucket

but it was.... and we made it on time.

Our first flight was to LA.... and then we had a small amount of time in LA to walk from the American terminal to the United terminal... On the way to the terminal, a man stopped and asked us if we spoke English.... He was surprised that we were from Texas.... turns out that our coats and scarfs made him think we were European....

He was a Krishna monk.... like he said (word for word), "I'm not a punk, not a skunk, just a monk."

He gave us a copy of the Bhagvad-Gita and The Science of Self-Realization... On our flight to Lihue, I opened the "Self-Realization" book, and the first sentence of the Introduction made me laugh so hard..... I HAD to show it to Bek.... then we both were cracking up.... The first sentence is (seriously): "'Who is Srila Prabhupada?', people often ask..."

I'm sorry... but I've never known anyone who's asked, "so, Ryann, who is Srila Prabhupada?"... i'm still kinda laughing... (on the inside)...

Then I turned to a chapter where they talk about how horrible eating meat is ... and that eating cow is even worse... because you drink cows' milk (although, I prefer soy), and so the cow is like your mother.... so you're eating your mother... and if you do that, then you'll come back as a tiger or wolf in your next life... so you can eat all of the cow (mother) you want...

Of course, I'm paraphrasing.... well, more than paraphrasing.... and I'm sure the book has a lot of useful spiritual information in it... but, that made me put it down... and take a nap...

The even funnier thing is, Bek is a vegetarian.... or WAS a vegetarian... for 14 years!!! until, 2 weeks ago.... as soon as we booked this trip to Hawaii, I went on my "hawaii diet".... that same day I got a text from her saying, "I just went to taco bell... ate beef fajita tacos, then two sausage egg tacos, a kids meal cheeseburger from sonic and pot roast... I'm so confused!"

Turns out, after 14 years of no meat... and NEVER wanting meat, she woke up one day, and HAD to have meat... and a LOT of meat... and she hasn't stopped! She's still very confused.... she went from saying (in disgust) "you're gonna eat a cold, wet, dead animal?!?" to splitting a turkey wrap with me on the plane... and a chopped beef sopa with me here in Kauai.

We flew into Kauai at night.. we caught a glimpse of the amazing island cliffs from the plane....

Photobucket

and then her sister, met us at the airport, and brought us beautiful flower leis...

Photobucket

I'm exhausted... so is she... we are waking up at 6 am tomorrow to go on a hike with her sister, Jakki... her house is amazing. I can't wait to see what Kauai looks like during the daytime...

i got a new camera... but my cd player on my mac is not working and I may have to install the software... in that case, I'm screwed... and it won't be easy for me to upload pics....

No comments: