Monday, December 1, 2008

getting going again

Photobucket
I decided to put this at the top, rather than the bottom of my blog.... just to mix it up! :o)

It seems like every year, after Thanksgiving, time starts to go at a mind-blowing pace... soon it's Christmas... then New Year's .... not to mention the tons of birthdays in-between (all you Sags and Caps!)... and in one month, it'll be 2009.... time to re-evaluate from where I was last year... time to plan where I hope to be next year... It's the only time of year that I really wish I had an extra month... a month of preparation? maybe...

Today, I was feeling better... the first day I've been able to get out of bed, and for the most part, stay out of bed. My head cold or allergies have beaten me... or had beaten me... until today.

I made time to go to my studio today...

I'm going to Dallas, and will be painting in Art Conspiracy 4 this year.... It always makes me nervous. All of the artists are given an 18x18 piece of plywood, and we have only a few hours to paint on it.... then, Dec. 6th, they are auctioned off for charity... last year was a lot of fun... but I was nervous then too.

Today I started going over, what should I paint? should I start painting now? Should I just plan? and then the SMART voice inside my head told me, stop preparing and just do what you can do today.... So... I listened...

I thought if I did a sketch of a painting or two, that maybe I'd be a little more confident when it came time for Friday's Paint-a-thon....

So, I started off with this little owl.... he's just a 5x7 acrylic on cardboard...

Photobucket


Then I moved on to the 24x24 piece of wood that I painted green... and I started painting the girl in the red hood (now it's an orange hood)...
Photobucket

I'm still working on getting the bones of it down, so that I can actually paint it.... one thing I decided today... I'd much rather work on a primed board.... The paint goes on so much smoother... Like I said, these are just the beginning stages... I've got a lot more work to do on her...
Photobucket

Another thing... I'm going to Hawaii with my friend Bek! Yes, we leave the 16th and get back the 23rd.... so, I guess, I'm definitely on the road again.

Love,
r

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, my dear friend, you're on the road again. Or, at least we will be soon! Why can't I say that without The Mupput Movie popping into my head. I like that movie. anyways...I cannot WAIT! I love all that is You!

Anonymous said...

It's cool watching the girl in the hood evolve! Glad you are feeling batter and Yahoo on Hawaii!
a

Ryann Rathbone said...

Bek- YES we will be soon! SO EXCITED! HELLS YA!

A- So good to hear from you! I've been wondering where my mysterious a and her "bears are assholes" comments have gone...... grading papers, i suppose....

:)

love to you!

dolcevita17 said...

I like her! Be sure to keep us posted on how Art Conspiracy turns out. Hawaii in December is lovely. What island?

Ryann Rathbone said...

I will be for sure to keep ya posted on Art Con.... it'll be the only thing on my mind till sat.... urgh....

We're goin' to Kauai! YEEEEHAW~!

Anonymous said...

Chris and I went to Kauai in 2002. I loved the big canyon, and fern grotto. So neat!! I am JEALOUS!

Aubrey

Unknown said...

Beautiful; the girl looks so much like the one in your parents painting. Your talant is astounding. Hawaii; I'm jealous!