Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Part 2: Monday

Photobucket

Monday, we woke up really early and drove to go on our helicopter tour.

Photobucket

The tour company we went with is called Inter Island (that's also the link to their site).... the locals said they are the best. They take you inside the crater and into the jungle and land near a waterfall for lunch... The tour is from 9:30 to noon... it's expensive, but %100 worth it!

I have been a lot of places, and done a lot of things... but this helicopter tour of Kauai was probably the most amazing experience I've ever had. I was completely speechless.... I still kind of am....

Have you ever had a flying dream? I do... and have.... the whole ride gave me deja vu....

We started out flying over the sugar cane fields... and then up toward the canyon.... all of a sudden we were in the canyon... It's so massive and so incredibly beautiful... the whole time, i sat there with my jaw in my lap, in awe of how absolutely incredible Kauai is... and everything is....
Photobucket

here are some of our pictures from the helicopter... (since I have no words... I'll just post some pics)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

there are no doors on the helicopter.... and I was sitting on the far right... so my right side was so cold!

There was a couple from Minnesota who were with us... The helicopter only seats 5. I asked the Captain what his name was, he replied, "CAPT.!" ....okay... he was a trip. He kept telling us about the "dope-growing hippies" and how he busts them.... or flies really low over the "dope fields" to freak them out.... and that's why the helicopter has a shark face painted on it....
Photobucket

Was that true? I don't know... He was funny, or at least I thought he was trying to be funny... but now, I'm not sure...

He also told us about movies that were filmed on the Island... like the movie Tropic Thunder (with Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr...)... When we landed in the jungle and followed him to the waterfall, I felt like I was in that movie... pretty funny.

The waterfall was so beautiful, that it seemed fake... like a movie set... We brought our swimsuits so we could swim, but the thought of getting back in the helicopter, wet and cold didn't sound fun.... so we just sat there and took it all in...

Photobucket

Capt. told us more stories of people skinny dipping and honeymooning couples doing more than that, in the waterfall... and how he would just go back and wait for them by the helicopter...

He took us around the whole island, into craters and by waterfalls... like the one used in Jurassic Park...
Photobucket
I can't even put into words how beautiful it was.... Kauai may be the most beautiful place on earth... and to see it flying around in a helicopter.... wow. that's all I can say is wow....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It makes me want to learn how to fly a helicopter... and become a pilot. There is so much freedom in a helicopter.... you can fly low, or high, take sharp turns, change direction in a second and land on a spot.... just like when I fly in my dreams.

I wasn't scared until we took off.. and I got a little scared, but then I wasn't scared as much as I was speechless and in awe... it seemed so surreal...


After our helicopter tour, we went to Glass Beach... There used to be a dump there, so the sand is really old pieces of glass that has been tumbled... I collected a bottle of the glass "sand" to bring back (maybe art project???)...

And bek found her rainbow!
Photobucket

That night we went to the airport... and flew out of Lihu'e at 9:45pm...

What an amazing trip! i had an incredible experience.... beaches, mountains... roosters EVERYWHERE (that cockadoodledoo at all of the wrong times), the helicopter ride, the canyon, camping, meeting new people, kayaking, hiking... WOW! Bek was a fantastic travel buddy! thank you thank you thank you for inviting me on this trip.... It was an experience that I'll never forget!

Here are some random images from our trip that I thought I'd include:

um... i felt like a whale when I ate... watch for me!
Photobucket

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
Photobucket

Strange and scary combo....and there were more than one of this restaurant... so it's a chain! I have to say, we never tried it:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The time is always: NOW!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aloha,

I'm Sheila (an independent Hawaii travel blogger) and I have LOVED reading about your trip to Kauai!

I think Kauai is tremendous for helicopter tours. I love Inter-island, too. I've not taken their waterfall tour, but just did their general island tour and it was wonderful.

OK..now I'm off to subscribe to your blog!

Ryann Rathbone said...

Thank you sheila!

The waterfall tour was incredible... i've loved your blog as well.... i miss beautiful kauai already!