Monday, December 29, 2008

Indian feast

Last night, kel cooked a delicious Indian feast!
Photobucket

My favorite was the coconut chutney she made... and she said she had to "wing it"... It was sooo delicious...

Indian food is probably my favorite food on the planet... I don't share my Chicken Tikka Masala well... at all... I LOVE all kinds of Indian food... yum! (now I'm hungry again).

We wore our saris kel brought back...
Photobucket

The sari (or saree ... i'm not sure how to spell it) is 6 meters of fabric! Which is 19.5 ft of fabric!!! that is a lot of fabric! Under the Sari, you wear a long skirt and a belly shirt... and then you take all 6 meters of fabric and start wrapping... and then folding and tucking and wrapping and folding and tucking again... Indian women do this with no problem... even using one hand for the folds...



kelly learned how in India, but then needed a refresher course, and B's friend's mother is Indian, and showed Kel again...

The saris kel brought back are beautiful... I wish I could wear a sari and bindi everyday! I told kel that some one should invent a sari that's already got all of the folds that you could slip on...

At the end of the night, I tried to fold it to hang it... and I got my dad to help me.. and it took us two tries to fold it!

Kelly did henna....
Photobucket

and then we ate and they narrated their pictures from the trip....

Kelly and Matt were in Mumbai, but left before the attacks... and stayed in a different part of India until the attacks stopped and things were more under control, before going back to Mumbai and then flying back to the states... that was a scary time..

We had a great night last night... I drank wine... and didn't even have a panic attack... so hopefully I'm done with those!

I'm not sure if we're leaving for the lakehouse today or tomorrow... we'll spend NYE there, together...

2 comments:

Justin Voight said...

You ladies look beautiful in your Saris. Have a great new year Ryann!

Unknown said...

They're beautiful saris! Thanks for explaining a little more about what they are. I've always known what they look like but never thought to look into it more. Food looks delicious too. We used to make Tikki Masala all the time but it was the packaged kind. I really need to to learn to cook things from scratch. Maybe I'll make that a new years resolution or something.