Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nature Freak or Freak of Nature?

Where to start...? I never did write the other night, after class... For some reason I'm not able to get online from my room like I was before. Bummer! That means, I have to haul my computer around with me to blog... But I'll get used to it.

I also have friends *gasp*... so, I'm no longer just going straight back to my room and typing... 

Let's see... So, Sunday night I met my fellow "Nature Freak" classmates. There are about 7 people in the class and then the instructor (RJ) and T.A. (K)... I'm one of two "youngsters" ... the other guy is a college student. These peeps are serious nature freaks... one woman brought her own walking stick to the first day of class... 

I think I get more freaked out by nature than a true nature freak. There was a bee buzzing above my head by the florescent light, and a huge moth that almost landed on me... no one else seemed phased, but I was trying everything in my power not to scream... I think these are the type of people who catch and release spiders... and let bugs crawl on them... and I was about to jump out of my chair. 

We had a 45 minute class safety lecture, that included such information as "Don't eat paint." I'm NOT kidding. What is funny is that the safety lecture for the hot glass class was 5 min, and consisted of "the glass is hot, there's the burn kit... and if you're on fire, pull this lever."

Well, I guess this class is gonna be more organized.

Yesterday was Carter's birthday... I guess I kinda underestimated how I would feel... I couldn't go to class, I just knew I would cry... So I started to drive, just to be alone and off campus... and then I remembered, "hey Asheville isn't far." So I called Cas...

I went and hung out with her yesterday after noon and last night. Talking to her made me feel a lot better... I got back to Penland after lunch today... 

I didn't miss much in class... We are making color charts with watercolor paints... Some people have been working on them for two days, and still aren't done. I did mine in less than 3 hours. It's interesting to go from being in a class where I had NO CLUE what was going on, or how to make sculpture and think in 3-D, to go to this class where I just "get it"... 

We also did quick landscape sketches, wrote down the color combos from the charts, and went back to the studio and filled them in with watercolor. 

Tomorrow we are going hiking on Roan Mountain. 

So far, this class seems like it's perfect for me (well, it'd be perfect in a world with no creepy crawlies)... I would post some pictures, but I took so many silly pics with Cas and M that my battery is dead.

I need to shower and do laundry... I'm starting to smell like a mountain hobo.


No comments: